Where Did Mankind First Discover Memes?
The history of Internet memes is in fact one of the most fascinating parts of the internet, as it is interesting to understand how the original memes came about. With each new iteration, the first generation of Internet memes had to evolve or undergo major changes, which often leads to the creation of new memes.
- You can think of the concept of a meme as being similar to a flea. When the original web page was first created, there were a limited number of people who would visit it, and only a few may even respond to it. This was also true for any site that contains a viral infection, as in the case of a movie or video. Only a small percentage of viewers will view the video or movie, but because this particular section of the internet has a high traffic volume, the rest of the site can benefit greatly from these visitors.
- Like this, the history of memes could be considered as a history of the transmission of information through the internet. Like fleas, the internet has always been able to spread throughout the internet, and since we do not currently know how long the internet has been around, it is possible that a lot of those memes were introduced in the past few years.
- Because of the nature of the internet, the history of memes can be broken down into four distinct periods. The first phase can be thought of as being that of the 1990s, when the initial popularity of the first viral applications occurred. This was when the concept of having a site “jump the shark” and have more pictures than text on it caused a stir, and eventually led to the creation of graphic image applications like Neatoshop and Ghost.
- This evolution is best described by simply stating that the first sites quickly became confused with other sites and no longer recognized as their own home page. This can be seen in websites that bear a striking resemblance to one another, with much of the content appearing similar to the contents found on the site with the larger, full-fledged website.
- This is actually a result of the later two phases of the evolution of the history of memes. This is when word-of-mouth spread among certain groups of people, bringing the idea of the community site to be introduced. By the time that the term “community site” was introduced, many of the older community websites were dead.
- Nowadays, the term “meme” is considered to be relatively new, and because of this, many sites still use the “original” term for themselves. However, for those who are curious, it is worth noting that the term “meme” originated from the game of “Earthworm Jim”, where players were able to collect the “memes” that were created by the computer in the game.
- From these words, it is easy to see that the history of memes is not one that began in the early 1990s, but rather is a much longer process. However, there is a strong argument to be made that memes originated when the internet was made available for users that were not previously able to access it.
- As the world became connected to the internet, this led to an evolution in the evolution of the internet, with the introduction of several tools that allowed users to spread information dissemination to the masses. In other words, it provided the internet with a new way to reach out to a large population of people.
If you were to look at the history of memes, you can see how each moment can impact how the evolution of the internet has shaped it. No one knows the exact period of when the history of memes actually began, but it could very well be a time period when people first discovered the concept of the internet, which in turn, allowed the evolution of the evolution of the history of the internet.
Of course, the history of the internet is very unique in that it is the subject of multiple studies. With the arrival of newer sites, memes will continue to change, perhaps bringing them into modern times.
Remembering Where Memes Came From
The history of Internet memes is long and complicated. What many people fail to realize is that as the Internet grows, so does the role that memes play in online interaction. In fact, the Internet has given birth to such a range of memes that it’s almost impossible to categorize them all as being memes or not. In this article I will focus on some of the more recognizable memes and how they have helped shape our culture on the Internet.
The most popular Internet meme is undoubtedly the Frog. Although the exact origin of the frog is unknown, it is known that the first instance of its use in the World Wide Web was by a four-year-old girl who posted it on an online message board. Although many have been quick to point out that the meme is nothing more than a simple anthropomorphic cartoon character, this isn’t the first time that an Internet meme has become a widely recognized phenomenon.
The most notable use of a meme for marketing purposes is that of Quatermass. This popular and notorious image of a geyser of gunk that shoots flames out of its body first appeared in a self-proclaimed ‘contributor’ to 4chan who uploaded it onto the imageboard. Immediately, the image became an instantly recognizable image in the world of online imageboards and, after being posted hundreds of times, it quickly became popular with Internet users all over the world.
In a similar vein, another famous image that helped catapult an Internet meme into mainstream fame was the “Shit Reddit Says” image. A user on Reddit posted a variation of the English language version of the original, which quickly spread across the web and earned the user thousands of subscribers. The popularity of this image was so great that the image was copied by several other websites before being removed from the site, forcing the original user to make a Twitter account just to “ban” other users from copying the original image.
The “wtf” image is another weird Internet meme. The phrase “wtf” is generally considered to be a fun saying, especially among young people, but when expressed as a proper meme it can become truly hilarious. This is what made the image so popular – when something is funny it sticks in your head, and when it is repeated over it becomes a phrase that is being continually repeated by millions of Internet users. It’s still pretty amazing to see just how far a phrase can go when it becomes part of a wider culture, even if only on the Internet.
The history of Internet memes is also important because it gives us an idea of what will happen if certain memes continue to be successful. For example, as of this writing, there are no less than three Internet memes that are in circulation in a variety of languages. Although it is difficult to predict whether or not any of these will continue to grow and become popular, it’s interesting to see that the future of Internet memes is entirely in our hands.
Just as online marketing campaigns can be influenced by the history of Internet memes, so can memes themselves. As we see many of these memes become viral sensations, it’s possible that one day we’ll be looking back at memes as powerful tools in the history of marketing, culture, and technology.